Friday, January 11, 2013

First snow in 10 years!


 
So it is Friday night here and we have only been here for like 2 days but I feel like I have been here an eternity. Yesterday it snowed for the first time in 10 years! It was so beautiful, I'm not even complaining haha. But I am pretty sure the center is about as cold as it is outside. So freezing because it's all made of marble. Which is beautiful, but makes it really quite chilly in this place, so I am always wearing layers and a sweatshirt. Yesterday was quite uneventful actually, just more meetings and orientation junk, most of which I was falling asleep through. I am definitely not used to the time change yet. It is weird here because you feel like you sort of know everyone or at least you have met them, but you aren’t close enough with them to like hang out or eat lunch together so I feel awkward. I spent like 4 hours in the library studying last night, ok maybe like 3, but still. I probably did more studying in one night than I ever have before for one class period haha. I kinda feel like we are in prison here. We haven't gotten our security cards or our cell phones yet so we can't leave the center yet,I just want to go out into the city and see what I am here for! I mean the Center is pretty, but it’s not much excitement honestly. And today we had 4 hours of class straight! Talk about torture! It was so long! However I decided that I am really going to like Old Testament, plus I love Bro. Judd, he seems like a good teacher. And there are 3 Sara/hs in my class so I told him he could call me Van Wag. I have a feeling that nickname will catch on soon. My other class, Near Eastern Studies, seems like it’s going to be hell. At least this first week, we have a test next Wednesday over a bunch of reading that I have yet to do…oops. I will spend my Friday night studying and reading tonight, yay. We had a committee planning meeting this afternoon after the security briefing, which I totally fell asleep in, and I am on the Snack Bar committee! I think it’ll be fun for the first little bit. We get to buy and sell snacks at the Shekel Shack and plan things with the party planning committee. That’ll be fun. I think my favorite part of today was taking an hour long nap before dinner, it was so great! And after dinner I went to the gym and biked 7 miles, I plan to be a good exerciser while I am here, not that I ever was before. But what a great place to start, in Jerusalem! I spent tonight just meeting people, when I should've been studying. And I hope to get to bed at a decent time so I can be well rested for the Sabbath which is on Saturdays here, so crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment