Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday is the Sabbath?

So today, Saturday, was our Sabbath day. It will get some getting used to with this new schedule but I think I kind of like it. We had church today at 10, which would have been nice to sleep in except that breakfast is from 8-9 and choir from 9-10, and they don't give us lunch on Saturdays. Very tricky they are...it pretty much forces everyone to go to breakfast early so they might as well do choir. That is probably why about 70 out of 82 of us did choir. So yes, I am in the branch choir and we even sang in church today already. I was so exhausted all through church today, I felt bad because I kept falling asleep in Relief Society, and I was sitting in the middle front row. And I had to say the closing prayer...how embarassing. I'm sure eventually I'll get used to the time difference.

Our first view of the city!
Today was the first day we got to leave the center and it was soo great! I felt like we were finally getting to go out into the city! We walked up and down hills through the streets for about 20 minutes to get to the Garden Tomb, where we would be spending our Sabbath afternoon. It was so interesting to walk through Jerusalem, it's a beautiful city, kind of dirty, but it reminded me of pretty much any big city but different. We were definitely recognized as the Americans and we had lots of guys honking and cat calling at us. But we just were told to try and ignore them. Also the drivers are cray and don't really watch out for anyone, reminds me of New York ha. And people park on the sidewalks and pretty much just wherever they feel like.


We had this beautiful view of the Center as we were walking. Just in case you were wondering, I LIVE THERE!!! So cool.

Me in front of the Garden Tomb.
Definitely the best part about today was going to the Garden Tomb. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but wow! Immediately as I walked into the garden, I could feel the spirit. The tomb where Christ was supposedly buried is inside this huge beautiful garden that was so green and well taken care of. For some reason I expected something different. They hold tours here and we were only one of many groups of people there. The guide took us around and talked to us a little bit about the tomb and also showed us what could be Golgatha. I still am having a hard time comprehending the fact that I am here in the city where so much of Christ's life occurred. We were able to go inside the tomb and see where Christ's body would have been laid, truly an amazing place. All 82 of us sang hymns as we were sitting in the garden and the spirit was so strong there, I am excited to go back again when I can spend some more time there because I already love it!


When we came back to the center, and after eating dinner, we saw the most beautiful sunset over the city! It was breath taking! And just as a bunch of us were out on the balcony taking pictures and admiring it, all of a sudden there were fireworks! I LOVE fireworks! It was awesome! They were celebrating something, not sure what. But people were singing in the streets and shooting off fireworks. I hope that happens every Saturday! I have a feeling I am going just learn to love this place more and more every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment