Saturday, February 23, 2013

Arab Culture Night!


 Tonight was Arab Culture Night and it was SO MUCH FUN!! Most everyone dressed up in their most Arab looking attire and came ready to party and celebrate the Arab culture!

At the beginning of the night, we had two Imams, prayer leaders, come and explain the process of prayer to us. Muslims pray five times a day always facing Mecca and recite different verses of the Koran. These Imams have the Koran memorized, it's crazy! Minarets are towers positioned throughout the city in which the voice of an Imam can be heard calling people to come and pray (this wakes me up every morning). They did a special performance of some prayer recitations for us tonight.
 My roommates and I, Lizzy, Lindee, and Michelle, all dressed up! Don't we look hott?!

 We had some traditional Arabic food, including my favorite-schawerma! It's this shaved meat stuff that just, I couldn't even explain it, it's delicious though. And I also tried a lot of weird stuff that wasn't all that great. But it's all about the experience!

 Me and Bro. and Sis. Bench (our JC doc and his wife) and Bro. and Sis. Jackson (the assistant director and his wife). Love them both!

 The running joke around here is that Mikkel, the guy in the very middle, is in love with every girl here! So we tried to fit as many of us girls in the picture with him as possible! Haha.

 Guess what?!!! My roommate and I, Lizzy baby, won the costume contest! The best part about it was that I had Arabic right before this class, so I literally took like five minutes to get ready and I won! Ahh I was so happy, I never win anything! It was a proud moment for the both of us. Best part, the prize was chocolate...and not just any chocolate, the infamous Israeli Pop Rock Chocolate!

Dance, Dance, Dance! Ahh we learned how to do some traditional Arab dancing which was so much fun! I love dancing here, much better than in America! I'm gonna bring back some sweet dances to the states! 

 This is Lizzy's most proud purchase. She bought a belly dancing costume in the Old City and I am pretty sure that half the girls here have tried it on. It is so much fun! This is my best Arabian belly dancing pose! This outfit has had some fun memories! It was such a great night!!



1 comment: