Saturday, March 30, 2013

My First Half Marathon...in Jerusalem!

 On March 1st, I ran my very first half marathon! And the best part about it? I ran it in Jerusalem!! How cool is that?! I think the number one reason why I decided to sign up to run a half, without any training (actually, that's not true...I ran once before it), is because I would have the bragging rights to say that "Yeah, I ran a half marathon in Jerusalem...no big deal." Truth is, it was a big deal! The morning of the half, my roommates and I woke up, after not being able to sleep all night because we were SO nervous!  -->As we were getting ready, someone had the brilliant idea to put baby powder in between our butt cheeks to prevent chafing. Lindee must have put in a lot because it kept coming out through her pants, oh it was too funny!! We went upstairs for breakfast and I literally just ate a banana and had some water before popping some pills and heading out to the bus. There were about 14 of us that were running the half and I was one of many of us that didn’t care about finishing fast, just finishing. So as we are trying to get dropped off at the start of the race, the bus driver says that all the streets were closed and so we would have to walk the rest of the way. It was 2 miles! I was like “are you kidding me? I already have to run 13.1!” Oh it was annoying at first, but we laughed about it because it was totally something that would happen to us…Americans. Who else had to walk to get to the start line of their marathon, seriously? --> We got to the start and there were seriously thousands of people there! I didn't know this thing was that big of a deal, but it was! As we crossed the starting line I couldn’t believe that this was actually happening! Oh my gosh…I was starting my first half marathon! Ahh! It was fun because they had music playing and people dressed up in silly costumes, like clowns, guys on stilts, batman, just weird things, but it was awesome! It made for a good start of the race. I put my headphones in my ear, turned my ipod/phone to my “Marathon Mix” and stuck it in my sports bra. I was ready to run! 

 The night before the race we went to this special dinner for the half and full marathoners and got our race t-shirts, bought some nice tight running pants, and were treated to a delicious pasta dinner!

 This guy came and interviewed our table and he asked if we were ready for it...of course I told him that I had been training for months and that I planned to be finishing in the first group, along with our Ethiopian friends...so hopefully my big fat lie is on Youtube somewhere, he definitely believed me. I guess I look like a runner? Ha.

 Breakfast of champions...bananas, water, and ibuprofen baby!!

 We all got matching t-shirts made in the city! They say Jerusalem-Just Do It! We thought those were pretty appropriate for a half marathon! Matching shirts, tight black pants, ponytails, and tennies! YEah yeah! We might have died running, but we looked good! That's for sure!

Heck yeah I finished! It might have taken me 2:45, but I did it! I tried to run as much of it as I could, but walked some of the hills...this city is very hilly! I was surprised that I did as well as I did too, I was just in the zone and I am pretty sure my legs just went numb after the first 10 km and just kept moving. --> We started at the Knesset, ran by Jaffa gate, into the Old City, by King David’s Tower, near the Western Wall, overlooking the beautiful city of Jerusalem! Each day I realize more and more how blessed and grateful I am to be here! The last 2 km were definitely the hardest! I kept getting a cramp in my right calf, which was the weirdest feeling, and I could see the Finish line but it was at the top of a hill and just seemed to be getting further and further away! But I finally crossed the finish and that was one of the best feelings ever!!

 Most of our group together after finishing the half!! I love these guys! 

 My lovely roommates, Lizzy, Lindee, Michelle, and I, together after we all finally finished!

This is our whole group of JC kids, both the half marathon runners (the elite) and those that ran the 10k...which I guess is pretty cool too. Haha. I felt so great after finishing, it was amazing! We all got medals for finishing and I know for a fact that will be one of my most prized possessions in my life! That was a big accomplishment for me and I am so grateful that I did it! Yeah babyy!! I just ran my first half marathon, in JERUSALEM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment